KFRI became a part of the Council along with five other R&D Centres of the State, when the Kerala State Council for Science, Technology and Environment (KSCSTE) was constituted in 2002.
KSCSTE is an autonomous body under the Science, Technology & Environment Department of the Government of Kerala constituted to encourage and promote Science and Technology related activities in the State. The apex body of the Council is the State Council with Chief Minister of Kerala as the President. The chief executive officer of the Council is Executive Vice President (EVP).
Main functions of the State Council are to:
- Plan, formulate and implement Science and Technology Promotion and other related research and development programmes.
- Provide overall guidance to the programmes and the developments of R&D centres of the Council.
- Withdraw and disburse the grant-in-aid funds from the Government and sponsoring agencies to R&D Centres and other grant-in-aid institutions.
The decisions of the State Council and Executive Committee are implemented by the Council Headquarters (CHQ) based in Thiruvananthapuram. Apart from KFRI there are five more R&D centres under the umbrella of the Council, they are:
- Centre for Earth Science Studies (CESS)
- Centre for Water Resources Development and Management (CWRDM)
- National Transportation Planning and Research Centre (NATPAC)
- Tropical Botanic Garden and Research Institute (TBGRI)
- Kerala School of Mathematics(KSoM)
KERALA STATE COUNCIL FOR SCIENCE, TECHNOLOGY AND ENVIRONMENT
Sasthra Bhavan, Pattom,
Tel: +91 - 471 2548200
Fax: +91 - 471 2540085